Rules To Live By
- Seek Pleasure.
- Avoid Pain.
- Live Forever.
Unfortunately these simple rules are far too simple for this complex universe. So moving on to something a bit more realistic....
- Seek to preserve your genetic material.
- Avoiding the unpleasant is often a good strategy for #1.
- Finding the pleasant is often a good strategy for #1.
These are the rules most organisms operate by. It helps if the long term view as well as the short term view is taken into account when applying #2 and #3. But still the universe if far more complex than this simple egocentric view...
- The universe is vastly interconnected; there really aren't any separate objects - keep this in mind.
- Do what you can to alleviate the unpleasant any where in the universe you encounter the unpleasant;
do what you can to prevent the unpleasant from manifesting.
- Celebrate the pleasant any where in the universe you encounter the pleasant;
do what you can to make the pleasant manifest.
- Don't be attached to results.
Like in the biological view, it helps if the long term view as well as the short term view is taken into account when applying #2 and #3. Preserving your genetic material is optional; but if you are advanced enough to be operating by these rules, it might be a useful thing to do.
Buddhist Bonus Points
Score yourself a bonus point for each of the following:
- Spiritual Rule #1 made you think of the Buddha's teachings on Dependent Origination or the later Mahayana teachings on Emptiness.
- Spiritual Rule #1 made you think of the Buddha's teachings on Metta (Loving-Kindness, Unconditional Love).
- Spiritual Rule #2 made you think of the practice of Compassion.
- Spiritual Rule #3 made you think of the practice of Mudita (Appreciative Joy).
- Spiritual Rule #4 made you think of the practice of Equanimity.
- All 4 Spiritual Rules gave you the idea that the practice of the 4 Brahma Viharas (Unconditional Love, Compassion, Mudita, Equanimity) is a far deeper practice than usually discussed.
Back to Essays
Permalink http://leighb.com/rules2liveby.htm  Hosted by
/ Revised 16 July 12